Thursday, November 03, 2011

Hellraiser Masterpieces


I just found out about this, so I don't know all of the deatils. Boom! Studios, which publishes the current ongoing Hellraiser comic book series, is also reprinting some of the stories published under Marvel Comics' Epic imprint in the late 1980s. These reprinted stories are being published under the title Clive Barker's Hellraiser Masterpieces.

Issue #3 of Clive Barker's Hellraiser Masterpieces collects for the first time in one issue the three stories I wrote for the Epic Hellraiser series back at the beginning of my career. The stories are "Homecoming" with art by Mark Texeira, "With My Lips" with art by Rod Whigham, and "Taste the Darkness" with artwork by Bo Hampton.

"Homecoming" was changed editorially into something far too gentle for the Hellraiser universe, and into something disappointingly unrecognizable from the script I turned in, so I don't really consider it something I wrote, but I'm still pretty pleased with the other too stories. I really dug getting to play with Clive Barker's creations and had even written a tie in comic detailing the origins of the lament configurations (the deadly puzzle boxes) and further three stories which never saw print because the series was cancelled before they could be run. I'd love to be able to return to Hellraiser some day.

Here's the solicitation information taken from the Boom! Studios website. No release date is given, but since it's available for pre-order, I'm guessing it will be available in December, or January. Ask at your local comic book shop if you are going to preorder from them. They might have an answer.


Hellraiser Masterpieces #03
Availability: Not yet released.
$3.99
Writer(s): Clive Barker, Christopher Monfette
Artist(s): Leonardo Manco
Straight from Hell, it’s another dose of classic Hellraiser horror ripped from the pages of Marvel Comics’ Hellraiser series — shipping twice this month! Re-presenting, in the mode of DR. WHO CLASSICS, never-before-reprinted tales from some of comicdom's premiere talents! This issues is three stories of grotesquery and high strangeness from John Rozum (XOMBI), featuring the art of Mark Texeria (GHOST RIDER) and Bo Hampton (BATMAN)! No other comic features these kind of sleek and intelligent horror stories told in the Hellraiser tradition!
Diamond Code: OCT110914

1 comment:

Michael Jones said...

Prior to my involvement in the Countdown, I don't ever recall hearing of you (sorry John.) It turns out that I've read a lot more of your work than I'd thought. If I had access to my books, I'd dig up the old Hellraiser and X-Files comics.