Thursday, September 02, 2010

From the Archives 6


Back in 1998, I was one of the guests at  X-PO Los Angeles, one of the stops on the X-Files 10 City tour. The convention was held a bit south of Los Angeles in the Tustin Marine Corps Air Station's immense Hangar 2 on March 14-15. The hangar, used for housing blimps, was perfect for the occasion, and was actually used briefly in an episode the following season.

Aside from myself, Steven Williams (X) , Mitch Pileggi (Assistant Director Walter B. Skinner), William B. Davis (The Cigarette Smoking Man) and Dean Hagland (Langly) were all on hand as were show writers/producers Frank Spotnitz, Vince Gilligan, John Shiban and Andy Meisler.

I spent most of the time signing a lot of comic books. What I found bizarre is that this was a convention aimed at the hardcore X-philes, but most of them I talked to had no idea that there was a comic book based on the show, and the comic book was well under way at this point (and in fact would be coming to an end not too much later). I did not get to see much of the convention itself since I was so busy, nor did I get to watch the other guests talk and perform for the guests. The writers (excepting Andy) I all knew from my interactions with them during my frequent visits to the X-Files production offices. With the exception of Steven Williams (whom I only met fleetingly) I did get to spend a good deal of time with the other actors in VIP lounge area. All were the friendliest people you can imagine, and I only wish that my good friend, Steve Kriozere had been a better photographer so I could share the chummy photos of myself with Mitch Pileggi and William B. Davis.

The people who ran the convention did a fantastic job, and everyone I met was great. One of the centerpieces was a photo-op in a green screen version of Mulder's office. I also have another shot of me tossing the pencils into the ceiling panels.


    

No comments: