Monday, October 05, 2009

31 Days of Halloween - Day 5 - Movie 1











The last time I saw "The Gorgon" (1964) was on glorious, snowy. pre-cable UHF. I didn't remember too much about it. It turns out this is a pretty cool, and different Hammer production. Starring Christopher Lee in the academically heroic role (he doesn't appear until almost halfway through the movie, Peter Cushing as the cold, almost villainous doctor, and Barbara Shelley as the beauty, "The Gorgon" is the story of a town plagued by mysterious murders and a widespread conspiracy to keep them hushed up. When a family of outsiders falls victim to the murderer, they decide to look beyond what the police reports say and uncover the truth. The truth involves victims turned to stone, a ruined castle, and the 2000 year old surviving sister of Medusa. The movie does drag a bit in places, but is on par with other Hammer movies such as "The Reptile" (1966) and "The Plague of Zombies" (1966).

2 comments:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

It pains me to admit that I haven't seen a lot of the old horror/monster movies. The first time I heard of this one was from a drawing Belle Dee did of the Gorgon not too long ago. I'll have to check her out.

The Captain said...

I just watched this the other night (I'm on a Hammer kick lately) I enjoyed it. Peter Cushing is my new favorite horror actor.