Monday, November 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Uncle Forry!



I am particularly happy to celebrate Forrest J Ackerman's birthday this year, since just a few weeks ago it didn't look as if he'd still be with us when he reached his 92nd birthday. Forry has successfully recovered from pneumonia and a renal infection, but is still weak in body. In spirit, he's apparerently his usual jovial self.

Without this great man, I would not be the person I am today. This means that he's the person to throw stones at for those of you who wish I'd turned out otherwise. He's the person who introduced me, and thousands of others, to not only the classic horror films, but the people behind them, who showed me how amazing collecting things could be, and taught me the importance of passing on our heritage to the next generation.

Thanks, Forry for being such a generous human being (if that's really what you are). You deserve to live in perfect health forever, and in my mind, you always will.






Here's one of my tributes to Forry from issue #4 of MIDNIGHT, MASS. with art by Jesus Saiz and Jimmy Palmiotti with colors by Kevin Somers and lettering by John Costanza.

3 comments:

The Igloo Keeper said...

Hear, hear. It's great news. Happy birthday Uncle Forry!

Bubbashelby said...

Happy birthday to Mr. Ackerman!

Stephen said...

I was lucky enough to meet Forry at Comic-Con about 10 years ago. He was a very pleasant man. This summer, I walked by a booth where John Landis was sitting next to a very sickly looking man in a wheelchair. Mr. Landis was very excited, and kept trying to get a perfect photo of the two of them on his cell phone. I asked the guy next to me who the man in the wheelchair was. The guy I asked happened to be the current editor of Famous Monsters, who told me that was Forry Ackerman. I wish I hadn't seen that - I wanted to remember him the way he was.

Happy birthday, Forry! Keep on truckin'!