Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Pee-Wee's Playhouse Turns 20!!




Today, one of the greatest television shows of all time turns 20 years old, making me feel old considering I watched this in college. For this entry I'd have loved to written an essay truly worthy of this moment, dig into my collection of Pee-Wee memorabilia, and rare images, and created a panaromic collage of the playhouse and it's inhabitants, but I can't (see my previous post for why not). So no odes to Jambi, Reba, Zyzzybalooba, or that French guy singing the yippy-yai-yai-yai-yippy-aye song, which still gets stuck in my head two decades later. No reminders that this show launched the careers of Laurence Fishburne and Rob Zmbie (to name 2). No nothing.

Let me just say thank you to Paul Reubens, and to all his collaborators, and to the tv executives who were smart enough to let him do what he wanted.

The only thing that would make this day perfect is if someone would tell me when that deluxe box set of the entire show is coming out on DVD. The bare bones version is fine and all, but I want more.

Here's a link to the official site .

Do yourself a favor and watch some Pee-Wee's Playhouse today.

4 comments:

Trevour said...

This was by far my FAVORITE TV show when I was a kid. No other show mattered to me at the time. I had all the toys and figures (except my parents never bought me the actual Playhouse set), and I remember recording the Christmas Special (wasn't it on a Monday night?) and wearing the tape out.

I've been waiting out for the complete DVD set too... but it's been nice to see the episodes on Adult Swim... episodes I haven't seen since they aired, and I remember them!

The show was by far an innovative television production, and still remains the best children's show of all time!

Kelly Stewart said...

I also find myself nostalgic for the Playhouse. See my post and slight brush with greatness here: http://kelstew.blogspot.com/2006/10/pee-wee-herman-and-2-degrees-of-grammar.html

Anonymous said...

FYI: www.DelRubio.com

Anonymous said...

Hello~
I have the actual Playhouse from when I was a kid and have been told it was worth a pretty good amount of money. I was wondering how much it was worth and if any of you would be willing to fill me in on that information. You can E-Mail me with any information you my have for me at Trinky05@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Trista